The straight A student who dropped out of university

Forum rules
See About this site for why you can't start a topic
quantropy

The straight A student who dropped out of university

Postby quantropy » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:03 am

In The People's Economics I argue that the rush for more and more people to get university degrees is highly questionable, especially if they end up with huge debts in doing so. I see a degree as more of a signal than training for employment, but as more people get degrees, this signal becomes less valuable.

It seems that someone else thinks along these lines. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-38512064 .
Billy Wilson takes the just do it approach to becoming an entrepreneur, arguing that there is plenty of educational material online to learn what you need to know.

It's not so suprising to find that Billy Willson thinks like this. What is surprising is what the BBC found as an argument against him.(From http://disq.us/p/1emov5h )
First of all, thanks for continuing to destroy the millennial reputation with your entitled, everything-should-be-easy, get-me-rich-fast mentality... You have completely just destroyed your reputation. When you fall hard and fast...you are going to need a real, big kid job and guess what? Something called Google exists and even my grandma can dig up dirt on you.

I find this a really weak argument. In fact it looks to me that the poster has taken an argument aimed at those who go to university and simply used it in the other direction. Such a trick can cause confusion for a while, but is easy enough to see through. For instance, the poster's college education was funded by his parents, and presumably expected it would lead to a good job - much more an entitlement mentality than getting work experience. And yes anyone can find you on Google, but I think that employers finding what you got up to at university is more likely to be a problem than just a picture of you holding up your middle finger.

Do you think that Billy Wilson is right? If not can you come up with a better argument against what he is doing than the one above?

Return to “Blog”