Behavioural economics saved my dog

quantropy

Behavioural economics saved my dog

Postby quantropy » Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:35 am

Why I looked at this book
In the words of Tim Harford, this book is "Addictive and life-changing". Somehow I have my doubts. I've read Predictably irrational and while it was worth reading, the idea that we aren't the totally rational beings supposedly following logical economic behaviour isn't that world-shattering. But that's fine, as what I'm looking for is a light-hearted, easy to read book, which might just have something interesting to say. Something that's more about entertainment than changing your life. But not too addictive though, as I'd like a book that is easy to pick up and put down.

Tags:

quantropy

Re: Behavioural economics saved my dog

Postby quantropy » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:31 pm

First Impressions
The introduction didn't seem like the lighthearted book I was hoping for, with Ariely telling how years of pain led to be introspective and hence to his current career. But then the book gets on to it's main content which reproduces advice from his column. It's easy to read, and may well be useful. I was taken with the idea of 'Cancel-elation': the relief you feel when something is cancelled. But even here I wonder whether taking this seriously would mean you just end up sitting on the couch all day.

Return to “Economics”