The Sexual Paradox

quantropy

The Sexual Paradox

Postby quantropy » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:00 am

Why I looked at this book
While it is important to get away from the discrimination that women have experienced, the idea that men and women are essentially interchangable when it comes to employment is a questionable assumption. I certainly think it likely that men and women have different skills, and that this should be taken into account in employment policy. But what might these differences be? I seem to remember having heard that in the early days of IQ tests, girls tended to scored higher than boys, but a fudge factor was added to hide this. Is it possible that talent is being wasted when women are pressured to fit into roles which have developed in an all male environment? That's what I hope to find out from this book.

Tags:

quantropy

Re: The Sexual Paradox

Postby quantropy » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:58 pm

First Impressions
Pinker describes how she grew up with the notion that women and men would do the same jobs. We would move away from the idea that some jobs were male only. But her work in child psychology suggested that males and femaies weren't the same, but that it was males who were the fragile ones. When she saw that talented women didn't seem to be competing for the top spots in employment she didn't buy into the idea that there were social pressures preventing them, although questioning this assumption got some indignant reactions. It looks likeit's going to be an interesting read.

Return to “Economics”